Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Back in the Olden Days, Again

Just finished Sonic 2 the other day. Back when it first came out I never managed to finish the game with all the chaos emeralds, so I never saw the special ending. Playing it again as part of the Mega Drive collection for the PS2 I remembered why, the end is fucking hard, especially that final boss. I have no idea how I ever had enough patience to perfect the timing needed to kill it without the benefit of save games.

As it turns out the extra ending was almost identical to the normal one, causing me to exclaim “I waited ten years for this?” But never mind, it's still a damn good game, with near perfect difficulty balance, plenty of interesting level design and some of the most compelling platform gameplay I've ever found. And that last boss is tough enough to create a real sense of achievement when you finish it.

No comments: