Thursday, May 05, 2005

Game Over, You Win

Irony is a Dead Scene – The Dillinger Escape Plan

A four song EP from a few years back, when they still had Mike Patton doing vocals for them. Like their latest release 'Miss Machine', it's mostly high volume metal with throat gouging vocals, the twist being the erratic, inconstant rhythms.

Mike Patton's vocals are great as usual, although I think their new guy suits the music a little better. The music is not as polished as 'Miss Machine's either. Part of it is cheaper production, and part of it is that the music is not quite as ambitious and inspired, it seems like they're still figuring out what they're capable of.

I got a bit of a giggle out of some of the song titles, 'When Good Dogs do Bad Things'. And I also liked 'Hollywood Squares'. Patton's lyrics usually evoke the grotesque and unsettling, and I can think of few things more so than the most horrifically banal half hour of television ever inflicted upon my eyes. It's also got a cool analog cover of Aphex Twin's 'Come to Daddy'.

Arrhythmia is so much more interesting than atonality to me at the moment.

2 comments:

Joel said...

You need to get some Venetian Snares if you're in a arrhythimcal mood!

Jon said...

Yes I do. Mayhaps you have some I could borrow?