Monday, August 08, 2005

Classical Music Day

So I bought a couple of classical albums the other week. 'The Best of Debussy' and the somewhat embarrasingly titled 'Chill with Ravel'. Not being a big classical fan I don't have anything really insightful to say about them. One thing that I did observe while listening to them was that I had to really pay attention before I got anything out of it, otherwise it just runs off my ears like elevator music, but I guess thats the problem with trying to appreciate a different genre of music.

Another thing I noticed was how many of the melodies I recognised. The start of Debussy's 'String Quartet No. 1 in G minor' is straight out of 'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails (or rather, the other way around, but you know what I mean), and there are more than a few other examples of similar things. I wonder if it's deliberate or not?

Anyway, classical albums are cheap so I should definitely buy some more at some stage.

2 comments:

Paul said...

I recommend Ravel's piano works and Debussy's La Mer.

The new Stephen Malkmus album is really good, as well.

Jon said...

I'll try and check those out. (Although probably not Stephen Malkmus, indie rock doesn't agree with me.)