Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Nip/Tuck

I started watching this show in it's first season, and I thought it was pretty good. The first episode I saw had the bad doctor (I can never remember their names) trading his girlfriend to another guy in exchange for a car, and it went on from there with all sorts of crazy shenanigans involving sex, money and psychotic drug dealers.

Unfortunately the second season has been very disappointing. There's been very little violence and a lack of amusingly nihilistic characters (they all seem to have learned their lessons in the first series), and it's just been a whole lot of garden variety Shortland Street style drama. (The girls all seem to love it still, as you'd expect).

So last night I watched about half an episode and then turned it off because I was too bored. And because of the gaggingly obvious metaphors. The good doctor's found out that the bad doctor slept with his wife, so he kicks her out of the house, leaving his kids distraught, and then he quits the practice, telling the employees to choose between which doctor they want to continue working for, at which point one of them remarks that it's 'like he's breaking up a family'. Gag. But before they go their separate ways, the two doctors have to perform one last surgery, separating two siamese twins. Can the twins survive on their own after being separated? At this point I began banging my head on the table, so I turned the TV off.

There's little enough good TV as it is, it's a shame to see a previously good show turn to crap.

No comments: