Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Show me the way to the next little girl

The Doors – The Doors

I probably shouldn't have bothered buying this album. Between the best of collection and the three or four live albums I own, I've already got four versions of half the songs on this album. Still, I'm a big enough fan of The Doors to get it just for the four songs I don't already have.

This is widely believed to be the best of their albums, I'm not so sure about that but it's still pretty good, and it contains many of their best songs. Jim's lyrics aren't as mental and trippy as they became later (not enough LSD yet I guess), but there's still 'The End', which remains one of my favorite songs of all time. The lyrics to that song are pretty good, but it's that eerie guitar, with all the trippy micro tones, that really does it for me.

'The Crystal Ship' and 'End of the Night' are two more sad, spacey songs which I like. 'Alabama Song' and 'Back Door Man' are two covers that are worth it just for Jim's dodgy interpretations, “The men don't know, but those little girls understand”. Plus we've got the full version of 'Light My Fire', complete with full wank solos for both organ and guitar.

It might not be my favorite Doors album, but I can see why it's got a reputation as one of the great classic rock albums.

No comments: