Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I've got Spurs that Jingle Jangle

System of a Down – B.Y.O.B

I don't normally buy singles, but I got this one for free. I was kind of excited to learn that it had live tracks from this years Big Day Out, and I had vague hopes that it might include Daron playing Sultans of Swing in Auckland. Unfortunately I was disappointed in that respect, as all the tracks seem to be taken from the Australian shows, but they're still pretty decent live tracks.

First up is 'Forest' off of Toxicity. I don't really like the way Serj sings it, but there are some cool crowd sing-a-long parts. Next is 'Prison Song', at the end of which you hear them start to go into 'Roulette'. The first time I heard it I turned around and yelled at the stereo, “Why didn't you play that in Auckland?”, but that mild annoyance aside it's a pretty good version. Lastly there's a kick arse version of 'Sugar', one of their best songs.

One more snark though, the single is almost twenty minutes long, over half the length of the album that B.Y.O.B comes off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"there's a kick arse version of 'Sugar'"

Better than the original?

Jon said...

Yeah I'd say so, but it's one of those things where it probably wouldn't sound so good if you weren't familiar with the original.