Thursday, June 30, 2005

You Came to Take My Heart and Soul

Mike Patton & John Kaada – Romances

After being impressed by the General Patton vs. The X-Executioners album, which I had been highly skeptical about before I heard it, I pretty much decided that Mike Patton was incapable of producing anything less than stellar each time he put out an album. I've changed my mind again now though. 'Romances' is OK, but not great.

Kaada is a Norwegian composer, and his music is hard to describe. Romantic is actually the best way to describe it, as it's mostly quiet and subdued strings, with influences ranging from Jazz to Opera. Of course, this being a Patton record, there's the occasional burst of free form noise or electronic weirdness. Patton himself is mostly in suave crooner mode (somewhat like the Lovage album, but without the sleaze), but again with the occasional bit off crazy screaming or bizarre grunting.

It's nice enough, but fairly forgettable, and not up to the standard of Patton's other recent output.

No comments: