Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Big Day Out 2006 First Announcement

The first round of bands were announced for next years Big Day Out today.

Headlining we have:

The White Stripes
Iggy and the Stooges
The Mars Volta
Franz Ferdinand
Kings of Leon
Sleater-Kinney
AFI

We also have The Living End and Gerling, and a whole bunch of kiwi bands including The Bleeders and Pluto.

Now there are a lot of bands there that I half heartedly wouldn't mind seeing, but absolutely nothing that compels me to splash out for a ticket and a plane ride to the North Island. So at first glance it looks like I will be missing the festival for the first time in eight years...

Normally the biggest bands are announced first (and they've indicated that this year is going to be lower key than the last few, which would explain the lack of really huge names in this announcement), however I have reason to hope that there might be one or two big bands left to be announced.

If you look at the list of bands above you might notice something... that's right, they're all soft cock indie dance-rock bands, and there's not a metal band to be seen (and not a whole lot of electronic or hip hop acts either). So maybe they're announcing things by genre this time around... it's a bit of a strange idea, but I find it pretty strange that there wouldn't be a single metal/hard rock band on the lineup either. Either way, we'll find out in a month or so.

So Korn, the Deftones, Soulfly and Rammstein all have albums out before now and the end of the year, any one of whom would probably persuade me to buy a ticket.

Elsewhere Russel Brown predictably gushes over the same lineup.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Oh my. Some of those sound fun... mainly of interest to me is the Mars Volta because they are meant to be crazy afro haired energetic guys on stage. But yeah, I suspect "indie" is becoming non-independent and much more commerical these days. Hence all the indie at BDO (although I know alot of people wouldn't classify any of these guys as indie, but thats just being pedantic).

Jon said...

Yeah I wish I hadn't missed Mars Volta the last time they played the BDO because I heard they were really good. Ditto for the White Stripes, but it's still not enough to get me up there.