Monday, September 13, 2004

Dr. Strangelove

I had a long afternoon with nothing to do in Hamilton, so I sat down and watched a DVD, something I normally don't have the patience for. Dr. Strangelove is one of Stanley Kubricks more famous movies and I’ve been meaning to watch it for ages, but never got around to it (despite having owned it on DVD for almost a year now).

Dr. Strangelove is an anti-war film from the 60s, concerned with the cold war and the prospect of a nuclear holocaust. Believe it or not, the film is a bit of a downer, but at the same time, it’s filled with a lot of dry humour. “Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here, this is the war room!” While I didn’t like it as much as some of Kubrick’s other movies, it's still pretty good, and I’d put it above The Shining and Full Metal Jacket, but below Eyes Wide Shut and 2001.

Anyway, I’m feeling like shit at the moment. Fucking plane flights always seem to make me sick. I just hope I feel better in time to see Muse tomorrow night. And in a bit of a weird coincidence, I noticed that the set of Muse’s video for Time is Running Out is based on the war room set of Dr. Strangelove. How about that.

No comments: