Friday, September 17, 2004

We All Live In America, Coca-Cola, Wonderbra

That new Rammstein song is tremendously catchy.


American Gods

By Neil Gaiman

So I've been a huge fan of Neil Gaiman's graphic novels for years now, but I've only just gotten round to reading one of his written novels, and I have to say, it's pretty damn good. American Gods is the story of a man named Shadow, who, after his life falls apart (he gets sent to jail, his wife dies, etc), is hired by a mysterious man called Mr. Wednesday as a kind of personal assistant. Naturally Mr. Wednesday is much more than what he seems, and Shadow goes on to have all sorts of interesting adventures.

This book is brilliantly written, and I can't say enough good things about it. Plot, characters and writing style are all tremendously engaging, and I can say without hesitation that this is the best book I've read all year.

American Gods is about belief and sacredness in the modern western world. However it was written shortly before the World Trade Centre attacks (as far as I can tell), so what it has to say about America comes across as somewhat untopical. But as far as I'm concerned that's another plus, it makes a good counterpoint to reading about the war in Iraq, or the presidential elections.

No comments: