Wednesday, November 03, 2004

This is not a Love Song

Well right now I'm glued to the presidential election results. It doesn't look good for the democrats at the moment, but it's still up in the air.

So in the meantime, I'll take my mind off it by talking about:

Reise Reise - the new Rammstein album.

Rammstein's fourth album is a little mellower than their previous ones. While it opens with a pair of hard out metal tracks, Reise Reise and Mein Tiel (the second being about the German cannibal who ate that other dude earlier this year, you can always rely on these guys for some perverted subject matter), the rest of the album is more subdued, finishing on a trio of 'Rammstein ballads'. 'Los' is a quirky track that I can only describe as 'country metal'. I'm not sure yet if I like it or not. The centerpiece (and highlight) of the album is a pair of political anthems, 'Amerika' and 'Moskau'. Amerika is their new single, so you might know it, Moskau is just as catchy, and just as amusing (if you translate the lyrics).

Overall I found the album a little dissapointing, since it's not as good as Mutter or Sensucht, but it's certainly a worthwhile purchase. I'd say that the songs all stand fairly well on their own, but don't quite fit together as an album.

No comments: