Monday, November 14, 2005

1969 in the Sunshine

Boards of Canada – The Campfire Headphase

Boards of Canada's signature sound has remained fairly static over their three albums. Peaceful, groove based electronica perfect for listening to on a warm summers day, it's the farthest thing from my normal listening tastes, but these guys have a genuine gift for making relaxing, upbeat songs and their skilled musicianship is strong enough to appeal even to me.

Musically The Campfire Headphase is slightly different to it's predecessors. Firstly there are no vocal samples on the entire album. Also to my ears it has a slightly more organic sound, with guitar, piano and acoustic drumming being used more than on the previous releases, but nothing to give anyone a big surprise.

Their previous album Geogaddi is a real classic, and unfortunately The Campfire Headphase doesn't quite live up to it. Two or three tracks match it's catchiness but the rest are fairly forgettable. It's still worth listening to, but for some reason it lacks the appeal of the earlier albums.

4 comments:

Joel said...

Is that the new one?

I was tempted to buy it, although I should probably get the others on CD first.

For some reason I never knew you were a Boards of Canada fan - but maybe you made me cotton on to them a few years back?

Jon said...

Yeah, it's the newest one.

I have a feeling I might have lent you Geogaddi years ago, but I'm not sure. If you're going to buy one of their albums that's the one to get though.

Anonymous said...

These guys are definitely one of my favourite groups. I'm really looking forward to getting a copy of this album.

I agree with Jon, Geogaddi is their best album and a really good introduction to their style. 'Music has a right to children' is also very good.

Jon said...

I'm not so big on Music has a Right to Children, there's a few really good songs on there, but also a few really boring ones...