Monday, February 14, 2005

Saturday Night at the Spewvies

Yesterday was the first time in a while I've gone a day without posting anything, but I had a good excuse; I was lying in bed quietly moaning, unable to move and wondering why I decided to drink so much the night before.

Anyway, before all that happened I went to see Alexander (the movie). I've stopped blogging about movies in detail because I don't feel that I have as much to say about them as I do about books and music, but I'm making an exception here in order to say "Beware: bad movie ahead! Use detour or proceed with caution!"

Oliver Stone is still a good director in many ways. I quite liked a lot of his wanky camera tricks and it was certainly a nice looking movie, but whoever wrote the script needs to take a few more writing classes, (I suggest 'How to Write a Story that Makes Sense and Doesn't Bore People to Tears' and 'The Difference Between Making Characters Nuanced and Making Them Schizophrenic'). Too much turgid drama, mastabatory pontificating about greatness, and boring speeches. Not enough foighting! The battle scenes (all two of them) were pretty good. The rest of the movie was just a big waste of time. Avoid at all costs.

No comments: