Monday, February 21, 2005

Ten Long Fucking Years

Hatebreed - Perseverence

Saw these guys at the big day out earlier this year and immediately put them on the 'buy their album as soon as I can' list. It's takena while but I've finally gotten around to buying it. There's no surprises here, the album delivers one straight up three minute hardcore anthem after another, and does so with little variation for 40 minutes.

After I saw these guys live I remarked that they were death metal without the bullshit. That works pretty well live, but on the album I wouldn't have minded just a little bit of bullshit, to spice things up. It's great and all, but it just gets somewhat repetative after about 15 minutes.

The other thing that I found a little bemusing is the lyrics. Coming from a heavy metal 'background' my expectations for heavy music are confounded when it turns out to all be about believing in yourself and perservering through hardship. Surely there's room for just one song about a demon that wants to eat your soul?

No comments: