Wednesday, January 26, 2005

BDO 05 - Dimmer, Hatebreed and the Rest

So I was quite knackered by the end of System, but my day wasn't over yet! My plan was to see Dimmer, Beastie Boys and Hatebreed, all in an hour and a half. (Richard managed to see six bands in the same time, so I figured it wasn't too tall an order.) By the time I'd got out of the moshpit, refilled my water bottle and bought some nice samosas from random people, I had time to see two of Dimmer's songs. The first one was 'Case', which was lucky as it's my favorite song of theirs, and another cool ambientish one. I was scared off by all the stoned hippies with their 'drunken aeroplane' dancing, so I decided it was time to dash up into the stands and meet my friends, and hopefully see a bit of the Beastie Boys.

Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. I found my friends at the first aid tent where they were having a mild medical emergency, and by the time we sorted that out it was after 10.30, so I decided to pike on the Beastie Boys and just see Hatebreed.

Well Hatebreed turned out to be very impressive. I've never been familiar with hardcore punk, and I have to say I was impressed. It's pretty much death metal without the bullshit and wankery. I was knackered, so it took me a while to get into the moshpit, and what did I see but the biggest, feralest circle pit you've ever seen. Up until then I'd only ever seen these things when they involved only a couple of teenage munters, and in comparison this was fucking impressive, stretching in front of two stages, and it looked like people in there were actually getting fucked up.

By the time that was over I really was exhausted, and I just sat down and watched a bit of Blues Explosion. They were very quirky, in an old school kind of way. They probably weren't the best way to end the night, definitely not a highlight like The Flaming Lips were last year.

And that was the end of the day!

No comments: