Monday, January 24, 2005

BDO 05 - Early Afternoon

After Deja Voodoo I had about half an hour break – just enough time to get food, drink, visit the toilet and see about two minutes of The Donnas from the stands. It didn't look too exciting from up there. Lucy told me afterward that the crowd was pretty tepid and that kind of ruined it.

Then it was off to Pluto. I wasn't looking forward to them very much, but they put on an excellent show. Not many people were there at the start, but by the time they finished the crowd had grown significantly. They only had half an hour to play so it was a bit of a greatest hits setlist, which I think massively worked in their favour:

Hey Little
She's Jive
New Song
Perfectly Evil
New Single With The Title I Can't Remember
Dance Stamina

I'd gone off these guys a while ago, but as well as this they played a pretty good gig opening for Muse, so I think I'll buy their new album when it comes out. Even if they do still look like a bunch of dorky indie rock geeks.

Time to be anywhere except the main stage, where The Hives were playing. Fortunately Kid606, one of the international acts I was most looking forward too, was on at the dance tent. It was good to get out of the sun, but man was it packed in there. Shapeshifter were just finishing their set, and although it just seemed like generic boring trance to me, there were a lot of people there and they were really into it. As soon as they finished the place emptied out completely, so I was able to walk right up to the front row. You could still feel the heat up there left by Shapeshifter's audience.

Kid606 is associated with Mike Patton's label Ipecac, and are generally regarding as being a pretty fucking crazy act. So I was kind of expecting some crazy looking raver dude, and I was a little surprised when a chubby balding guy in neat clothes walked out with an Apple laptop. I actually thought he was a roadie for a little while. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed with his set, which seemed to me to be just average drum and bass for the most part. Even the teenyboppers were into it. He went nuts with the freaky squeally noises only once or twice, but when he did, it was awesome.

No comments: